tirsdag 25. november 2008

Julekurv / christmas basket……

julekurver2_liten1

In Norway we sometimes make our own christmas decor.. like the “julekurv” or “christmas basket” if you will… They look very cute on the tree.. and I (I tell the kids santa does this.. so Sshhh!! ) usually put some of that chocolate Buffie got - the twist – inside them… other candy is good too :-)

julekurver2

Here’s how to make this one below:

5-6-9

Materials.

· 2 rectangular strips of different colored construction paper, 2 inches by 6 inches (we used red and blue). By trial and error we learned that origami paper, which is smooth and glossy, is easier to work with than typing paper.

· ruler

· scissors

· compass

· patience!

Make this pattern on each rectangle: two half-circles (radius one inch) and two squares (with side lengths of two inches). Use a compass to draw the half circles. On each square, draw three horizontal segments, one-half inch apart, and each four inches long, and cut along the three segments. (You can do this to both rectangles at the same time.)

image003

Orient the two folded pieces as shown. We label them X and Y.

image005

To weave the two pieces together:

1. Place A inside 1, 2 inside A, A inside 3, and 4 inside A. One row is woven.

Slide this row up - to make room for the second row (B) - on the three line segment cuts in piece X.

2. Place 1 inside B, B inside 2, 3 inside B, and B inside 4.

3. Place C inside 1, 2 inside C, C inside 3, and 4 inside C.

4. Place 1 inside D, D inside 2, 3 inside D, and D inside 4.

5. Attach a handle.

Of course you can design baskets with different dimensions (e.g., 4 inches by 12 inches), and with different numbers of weaving strips! You can also try other kinds of paper.

5-6-9

When you get this one right.. you can advance to other designs..

julekurv1 julekurv1farge

Or just simply use other kinds of paper

Julekurver_4[1]

Want to try it???

Go for it!! It’s fun!!!


9 kommentarer:

Jill sa...

Good Morning Monica, Well.. it's morning for me. This is so cool that you posted those. The funny thing is we are Disney crazy over here and we ALWAYS go to Epcot they have Norway as one of their countries and they just happen to have the only fun ride in all the countries. Every Christmas we go to each country to see their culture and way of celebrating the season with their verson of Santa. I have seen these (ornaments) there before haning on the Christmas trees! They are sooooo cool! Now I want to buy one! Off to Epcot I must go!

Jessica sa...

These are too cute! I love the last one! We are going to have to try this!

Bug hugs~ J

Anonym sa...

Monica~
Thanks so much for the award! I am so honored! You are a doll : )

Love those baskets.....I may make them with my boys and tell them about Christmas traditions in Norway. You always have such interesting things to share with your blog readers.

Have a wonderful day...

Rachael

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity sa...

Monica,Good Morning! I love those baskets. They are so cute!!! I may try them.

Anonym sa...

Good morning, Monica and it's so nice to meet you!! Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
I went to Buffie's blog yesterday and saw where you had sent her a package and she videoed herself eating some chocolate you sent!
Oh, I've been to Norway three times! To Oslo and we stayed at the Grand downtown - it's so beautiful there! We toured the Fjords and was just amazed at all of the beauty!!
Oh, I hope you'll come back and visit me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

nikkicrumpet sa...

Wow Monica those are gorgeous...but they look VERY complicated!!!

Buffie sa...

Those are SO cool! I don't know if I can make one but I'm going to at least give it a try...I LOVE that last one, how pretty! These would make great gifts for my nieces and nephews too, thanks again for sharing your traditions with us! :)

Buffie

Debi sa...

Hello Monica dear,
This is a wonderful craft! I am going to have to try it out... I will let you know how it worked.

I stopped by to let you know you have be tagged dear. I hope you don't mind. You can come over to my blog to check it out.

Hope your having a wonderfully blessed day dear!

http://whatscookninjunk.blogspot.com/

Tonje sa...

Oh... I used to make lots and lots of those christmas hearts before. I still have a few that I always hang in my window for christmas... (from the top window frame). All my friends in Scotland were very impressed by these hearts. (I never told them how easy it was to make when you just know how...)

I just read your piece about the barn gnomes and their porridge... that was so much fun. I haven't thought about those in a very very long time... but I guess they're a part of our Norwegian tradition as well... thanks for reminding me.