In Norway we sometimes make our own christmas decor.. like the “julekurv” or “christmas basket” if you will… They look very cute on the tree.. and I (I tell the kids santa does this.. so Sshhh!! ) usually put some of that chocolate Buffie got - the twist – inside them… other candy is good too :-)
Here’s how to make this one below:
· 2 rectangular strips of different colored construction paper, 2 inches by 6 inches (we used red and blue). By trial and error we learned that origami paper, which is smooth and glossy, is easier to work with than typing paper.
Make this pattern on each rectangle: two half-circles (radius one inch) and two squares (with side lengths of two inches). Use a compass to draw the half circles. On each square, draw three horizontal segments, one-half inch apart, and each four inches long, and cut along the three segments. (You can do this to both rectangles at the same time.)
Orient the two folded pieces as shown. We label them X and Y.
To weave the two pieces together:
1. Place A inside 1, 2 inside A, A inside 3, and 4 inside A. One row is woven.
Slide this row up - to make room for the second row (B) - on the three line segment cuts in piece X.
2. Place 1 inside B, B inside 2, 3 inside B, and B inside 4.
3. Place C inside 1, 2 inside C, C inside 3, and 4 inside C.
4. Place 1 inside D, D inside 2, 3 inside D, and D inside 4.
5. Attach a handle.
Of course you can design baskets with different dimensions (e.g., 4 inches by 12 inches), and with different numbers of weaving strips! You can also try other kinds of paper.
When you get this one right.. you can advance to other designs..
Or just simply use other kinds of paper
Want to try it???
Go for it!! It’s fun!!!