mandag 24. november 2008

About santas and “graut”…..

The little santa called “nisse” in norwegian.. and their story.

julekort02 2220089_ae1ef4bc0d_m

Farmers believe that in their barns, there is a small kind santa that takes care of their animals throughout the year.

fjosnis

julekort

Sometimes they do little pranks around the farm, like move things about etc., but mostly they are good, and come christmas the farm owners give them “graut” to keep them happy.

nissegrot_640

And the “graut” disappears, so surely the little santas have had a feast.

4_98_h3

nissegr%C3%B8t[1]

These little santas are tiny, and can easily hide in the barn….. they are not the ordinary kinds of santas..

1196328841031_3907445444_1558838m

We have that kind too….the ordinary ones…. you know the northpole santa, big fellow with the red suit and black boots etc.

santa-12

And we have the blue santas that lives up in the mountains.. inside the mountains to be excact…

153163

and they come out of their hiding only during winter/christmas, AND only during the “blue hour” ….

DSC_2160

because they can’t be spotted that easily when everything turns blue.

blaafjell-lang_997068a

JUL I BLÅFJELL

Back to the little barn-santas.. and their “graut”.

386

I would like to give you the recipe, so that you can try it some day…

Ingredients
1and 2/3 cups water
3/4 cup long grain rice (or the small round one)

1 quart milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Directions

1 Boil water and add rice, cover and lower heat to simmer for 15 minutes.

2 Add milk, sugar and vanilla and bring back to a boil. remember to stir ofter… as the milk may burn in the bottom of your pan.

3 Cover, lower heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes. (stir.. a little)

4 Season with salt. ( might be too much with a teaspoon.. so taste)

5 Serve with butter, sugar and cinnamon and a glass of milk

6 you can also put some raisins on the top.

Uke_43_Risengrynsgr_t_6219e

( oh.. and if there are any left-overs.. cool it down, whip some cream and mix the cream and “graut” together carefully.. put on some sweet red sauce.. like cherry or rasberry sauce… .. hmmm a delicious dessert.)

Good luck!

13 kommentarer:

Buffie sa...

MMMM! This sounds really good! I copied down the recipe and I'm going to try it real soon. The Cajuns have a dish similar to this but I don't have the recipe...I need to call my cousin and get it from her!

Thanks for posting this, I had no idea y'all had more than one kind of Santa! The blue santas are really neat! you're giving us Americans quite the education on Norway and I love it!

Buffie :)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity sa...

Monica, Your blog looks wonderful. I loved your little stories about Santa's. And guess what, as a child I ate "graut" all of the time. It was one of my favorite treats when I was little. Of course, we didn't call it "graut".
It's so fun reading your blog. I'm glad you are in blogland.
Hugs, Terrie

artis1111 sa...

I love the little Santas. It sounds like what we eat a lot. I just like eating. I think your country is beautiful. Kathy

Jill sa...

Monica I loved reading about your Santa!! I am learning so much from other people!! I love it!

The recipe is very similar to something we eat here called Farina! It's made pretty much the same but an oat instead of rice! Sounds yummy!!!!
Hey the next time you stop by sign my followers list :)

~♥~ Monica S sa...

"graut" made from oat is something we do too... that makes it alot sweeter!

Love that you all have tasted something similar... and you all know why don't you?? Your ancestors probably brought it with them from Europe ;-)

Monica

Jessica sa...

Morning Monica~ This sounds like a wonderful dessert....I love the idea of Santas helping all year and the blue Santas, too. Loved this post! I went shopping yesterday and they had a wooden Christmas calendar w/ a countdown to Christmas....they called it an 'advent' calendar. I thought of you when I saw it. Now, I just want to go back & buy it. It was adorable. :) Thanks for your sweet comments on my little home.

Bug hugs~ J

Jessica sa...

Just saw the treats you sent Buffie~ that was so sweet. Isn't she hilarious? I'm so glad you've met us all here in blogland. :)

~♥~ Monica S sa...

I am very happy to have met all of you too!!! :-) I really enjoy each and every one of you!!!

Monica

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity sa...

Good Morning, Monica!! I am German/Swed. How did you know??
I might just take you up on your challenge. I'm trying to get pictures from my sister.

Decor To Adore sa...

These sweet images make me miss the Christmases that I spent in Germany.

The acorn nut is from the Oak tree, which is native to the US.

Bridget sa...

Happy Monday Monica! The graut sound yummy and I love the photo of you town with the mountains. It looks so beautiful!
Hugs, Bridget

Buffie sa...

Hi Monica! I just wanted to let you know that I got your package mailed today! YEA! So hopefully it'll be there with in a week?

Buffie :)

nikkicrumpet sa...

Very cool...you have so many Santas! Now if we could just get them ALL to bring us presents lol. Very cool...I love learning this stuff from different places.